Monday, January 17, 2011

Photoshop Workshop - Mrs Fisher

In this section of work I will be going through the different steps I had to follow in order to edit my album cover and magazine advert. In order to know the basics of Photo Shop my class and I had a workshop were a teacher explained to us how to use different aspects of Photo Shop in order to create a professional looking album cover and advert. 
 
 


Firstly to open up Photo Shop we had to click on the ‘Start’ button this then brought up a number of different programs that are available on the computer. Once Photo Shop was found I then clicked on it in order for Photo Shop to open.

Once this was done, this image on the right allows you to see what a new document looks like without anything opened up on it.
To open up a file I had to go to ‘File’ and then click on ‘Open’. By doing this it would then allow me to open up an image on photo shop so that it is then ready to use for editing. (image on the left)







This image on the right shows the process I went through in order to choose a file that I wanted to edit and how the software looks like while you are doing this process.





 
 
After I selected the image I wanted, 
I then double clicked on it for it to open. Following this the image above was shown displaying the image I had chosen and wanted to edit. (image on the right)







After doing this we were shown how to cut out an image so that it could go on to any background. Here is an image I opened up on the left hand side, on the right side of that image a brick wall image is on display. The image on the left is the image I will be using for my album cover, however the brick wall is just an example displaying how to use Photoshop and how I will be cutting out the image on the left and putting it on to the brick wall.

 In order to cut out the image I wanted I had to click on the ‘Quick Mask’ button which is located on the tool bar on the left hand side. Once I clicked this button to highlight the area I wanted it then looked like this. (image on the left)








This is what the image looks like once it has been highlighted with ‘Quick Mask’. This is only a rough example to show the different procedures I had to follow while creating my final album cover piece.








Following this, I then had to click on the ‘Quick Mask’ button once more which made a dotted line appear around the image I highlighted. While creating my own album cover i will be using ‘Magic Wand’ in order for the editing to look more professional. As this is only an example I only used ‘Quick Mask’ to cut out the image.





As you are able to see the image on the right is the final version with the background cut out from the actual image that I want to keep. I achieved this by clicking on the ‘Edit’ button and going down to the ‘Cut’ button. This then allowed me to cut the background away from the image I wanted so that I can then edit it in other ways so that my CD album cover looks professional.





Once the background image was cut out from the main image I then clicked on 'Quick Selection Tool' which allowed me to highlight the areas I did not want and move them to another layer. By doing this the top layer of the actual image I wanted was on a seperate layer so that I could then move it around on to different backgrounds. This image on the left shows the procedure I went through in order to seperate both of the layers.


I then clicked on the 'Move Tool' which allowed me to drag my final image away from the background and onto another image. The image on the left shows what I had to do and how it looks once it was been dragged over. As you can see in the image on the left the dragged over image was transfered over and was then magnified. In order to make it smaller I had to press 'Ctrl' and 'T' so that I could adjust the size of the image.



This is what the final image looks like however it is not as neat and professional looking as this is only a clear example of the different steps I had to follow in order to cut out an image and understand the basics of Photo Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment